Re: For 1.5.10: avoid "touch" for timestap granularity

On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 09:44:58PM +0200, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> > Food for thought:
> >
> > How long has this code been in mutt's build environment?  When has
> > anyone ever complained about it being a problem?
>
> Guys.  Please read the subject.

I read it before...  I don't see what you're getting at.

> > It's probably true that some old BSD systems handle touch poorly, but
> > it's almost certainly true that those systems are hopelessly out of
> > date, unsupported and unsupportable, and irreparably broken in any
> > number of ways...
> *snip uninformed reasoning*
>
> Yes.  I am _not_ trying to port mutt to those systems.

Well, then why didn't you direct us to exactly what the problem is?
That would have been much better than making a vague reference and
letting us guess for ourselves...

> > And I think it was the OP's whole point: we don't want the echo
> > command to result in an empty file.
>
> No.  I am trying to get people to know problems with relatively _new_
> systems, with nanosecond time stamps, and fast enough to build several
> things in one second.  Systems less than three years old.
>
> Regards, and yes, this is mentioned in the docs as well,

Ok, after reading a lot more thoroughly, I found what you're talking
about in the discusion of cp -p in the section "Limitations of Usual
Tools".  The reference you gave to point to the issue, if I may say
so, sucked gigantically.

-=-=-=-=-