Re: pattern case sensitivity

On 2005-04-04 13:37:58 -0400, Derek Martin wrote:
> FWIW, IIRC, e-mail addresses are not required to be treated as case
> insensitive.  How to interpret what comes on the left-hand side of the
> '@' is the purview of the individual e-mail system, which can decide
> if it is case-sensitive or not (again, IIRC).  I'm not specifically
> aware of any mail systems which treat th LHS as case sensitive, but I
> feel as though I've heard of mail systems which do.  Having only used
> sendmail for years, the rest have escaped my attention...

Sendmail can be configured to be case-sensitive. I don't think many
people turn that option on, though.

There may be some schemes which generate mail addresses automatically
(e.g. for mailing-lists, trouble-ticket systems, address-tagging) which
are case-sensitive (e.g. by including a base64-encoded hash in the
address).

        hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer \Beta means "we're down to fixing misspelled comments in
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR     \the source, and you might run into a memory leak if
__/   | http://www.hjp.at/ \write your plugins upside-down in lisp". --ae@xxxxxx