Any tips for moving to 1.5.9? Which patches have already been applied?

Hi,

I'm currently using 1.5.6 .  I have patches back from the 1.3.x days,
and when I tried to apply my mega-patch to 1.5.8 it died miserably.  I
was just wondering how folks are handling that situation?  Do you just
apply each patch and fix the problems one by one?  It doesn't appear as
if all of the legacy patches have been ported to a recent version of
mutt so that could be a non-trivial task (for me).

Also, is there a way for me to find out which patches have in fact been
applied to the release?  Some of the patches I apply may of already been
incorporated, but I'm not sure how to figure that out.

Sorry for the novice questions.

--
Mun