Re: 1.5.7 BUG: character set in traditional PGP

On 2005-02-10 13:52:16 +0100, Matthias Andree wrote:

> The sender has properly declared the character set for
> traditional PGP (i. e. as MIME header, as shown), I told mutt to
> decode traditional PGP, so the assumption "UTF-8" as though the
> input had been OpenPGP, PGP/MIME, whatever, is bogus: mutt needs
> to tell GnuPG "pass through unchanged" and then use the character
> set from the mime Content-Type header.

Bzzzt, wrong.  He has declared the charset in which the ASCII armor
and any surrounding text is represented.

The conclusion that this is the same charset that is used by the
encrypted material is bogus. It is, in particular, not warranted by
*any* specification that I'm aware of.

On the other hand, all that RFC 2440 has to say about this is that
the default character set for text is utf-8.  That's what mutt bases
its decoding on.

> NB: Gnus and Enigmail (for Mozilla and Mozilla Thunderbird) get
> this right, so should mutt.

They may happen to get it right in this case.  In the absence of any
properly specified character set tagging for PGP-encrypted text,
that's basically a coincidence.

Finally, as I said, there is a specification that properly deals
with character set tagging for text material, and that's called
PGP/MIME.

In any event, please don't complain about the brokenness of a
traditional PGP when you're not willing to use the fix that's been
out there for years.

Regards,
--
Thomas Roessler · Personal soap box at <http://log.does-not-exist.org/>.