Re: Mutt Next Generation

On Thursday, 27 January 2005 at 11:00, John Franklin wrote:
> The patch is UNIXy in its own way.  Mutt is good at managing e-mail.
> libESMTP is good at delivering e-mail to a server.  They're
> both simple tools that do their thing well.  Rather than fork off a
> process, use a library call.  The library has function parameters as
> its API.  The process has command line options.  What's the difference?

I have to admit I'm a little irritated by libesmtp's decision to
implement its own SASL library instead of just using Cyrus. CRAM-MD5
is better than nothing, but I'd much prefer to use GSSAPI or
DIGEST-MD5. If it had a mode that let it take over a socket after
you'd set it up (like openssl does), it'd be a much nicer fit.