[BUG] failure if passphrase had to be reentered

Hi,

I use mutt built from CVS sources in November 2004 plus the following patches:
  mutt-cvs-header-cache.24
  1.5.6.nr.threadcomplete
  patch-1.5.6-ow.smime-encrypt-self.2
My system is i686-pc-linux-gnu, openssl 0.9.6c plus all security updates from
SuSE.

Under certain circumstances, mutt passes the wrong passphrase to openssl:

 1) Compose a mail, make mutt sign it and press 'y'
    --> a) Mutt asks for the passphrase.
        b) The mail is signed via openssl.
        c) The mail is sent.

 2) Compose a 2nd mail, make mutt sign it and press 'y' (all within
    smime_timeout seconds after step 1)
    --> a) Mutt signs the mail via openssl (The remembered
           passphrase is correctly passed on to openssl.)
        b) The mail is sent.

 3) Wait longer than smime_timeout seconds.

 4) Compose a 3rd mail, make mutt sign it and press 'y'
    --> a) Mutt asks again for the passphrase.
        b) Openssl is called to sign the mail.
           *** Openssl fails and complains about an incorrect passphrase! ***

 5) Press 'Ctrl-f' ("forget passphrase") and retry to send the mail
    --> a) Mutt asks again for the passphrase.
        b) The mail is signed via openssl.
        c) The mail is sent.

Above behaviour is reproducable. I consider it unlikely that I always
mistype my passphrase in step (4), so there seems to be a bug.

It is annoying but I don't have the spare time to investigate the problem
and by now I got used to the key sequence '^fy'... :-) But since mutt
development seems to gain momentum again I decided to let you know.

Regards

Christoph

--
http://www.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/TI/Mitarbeiter/cludwig.html