Charset of an edited message with $editor

[Since mutt-users no longer seems to work...]

How can I know the charset used in an edited message with $editor
(in a new message, in a reply, in an edited existing message, and
so on)?

Note: I want the charset at *edition* time, not the charset that
will be used in the message before it is sent and stored to the
mailbox.

When composing a new message or a reply, it seems to be the charset
defined by the locales, but when editing a message (with the "edit"
command), it seems to be the charset of the message.