Re: bug#1905: mutt-1.5.6i: I can't send emails

severity 1905 normal
close 1905
thanks

Hello Klaus, thanks for the report.

 On Monday, June 21, 2004 at 12:18:09 PM +0000, Klaus Umbach wrote:

> it must have something to do with my configuration, which always
> worked fine, when I rename it, I can send mails. I don't find anything
> wrong

    Many things are wrongly or strangely configured, some of which can
break your sending. Clock timezone, no message-id, key bindings,
charset, charset-hook, send_charset... All this is bad wrong.

    You may want to severely rework your config, or even start from
scratch. You'll find hints, examples, and help on Mutt homepage, Mutt
wiki and mutt-users mailing list.

    With your muttrc, I can send emails (with bad enveloppe) though. So
the problem may be a misconfiguration somewhere else on your system, or
an interaction of several things.

> I can't send emails

    You get a bounce about posting in the future? Error message?
Something in the queue? The logs of MTA? Enveloppe masquerading? The
keyboard [y] key is broken? Please define « I can't send emails » a
little more precisely.

    As you say, this seems to be a config problem. Misconfigurations are
not Mutt bugs, so I close #1905. Thanks anyway for the report. Please
inform us here if you discover the reason. We'll reopen if necessary.

> bind index home first-entry

    You mean <Home> key, probably. Not h, o, m, and e sequence. ;-)

> set charset=iso-8859-15
> set charset=iso-8859-15

    Unnecessary and redundant: Remove both. Verify "locale charmap".

> set send_charset="iso-8859-15"

    Default is better: Remove. Or even better replace by hint in sig.

> charset-hook us-ascii ISO-8859-15

    False: Remove. Or replace by "charset-hook ^us-ascii$ windows-1252".

> set record=~/.maildir-sent/

    ~/.maildir-sent/{cur,new,tmp}/ exist? Is it a valid maildir, and is
it writable?

Bye!    Alain.
--
Mutt muttrc tip to send mails in best adapted first necessary and sufficient
charset (version for Western Latin-1/Latin-9/CP-850/CP-1252 terminal users):