Slow opening of IMAP mailboxes

Hello mutt-dev,

>From the archives of this list, I have discovered that, about a year
ago, there was thread regarding mutt's performance when opening large
IMAP mailboxes:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=mutt-dev&m=104161013410837&w=2

The thread discussed pros and cons and implementation details but then
petered away and I haven't found much discussion of the issue since.
I've seen the headercache patch (http://dwyn.net/mutt/) which seems like
a useful solution but doesn't take the approach I'm interested in.
I'm interested in a solution which speeds up even the initial opening of the
mailbox by asking the server to do sorting (preliminarily, at least) and
then requesting only enough messages to fill the user's visible index.

Mostly I'm writing to inquire whether there has been further (since the
time of the above thread) progress on this problem.  Also, if anyone
thinks I ought to avoid this problem like the plague lest it drive me
mad and make me tear my hair out, such warnings would be appreciated.
;-)

Thanks,
Chris