Re: UTF-8 issues (reposted from mutt-users)

On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 12:51:09AM +0100, Artur R. Czechowski wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 02:00:47PM +0100, Alain Bench wrote:
> > > I'm having some weird problems with messages that are sent without any
> > > kind of indication that the message is ISO-8859-1 encoded
> >     The example is a non-MIME message body with unencoded raw 8 bits
> > headers. That case would be nicely solved by the $assumed_charset
> > feature of the JA-patch (or of the compat patch) from Takashi Takizawa,
> > by setting $assumed_charset=windows-1252 and $strict_mime=no.
> Just for information and archive:
> http://www.emaillab.org/mutt/1.4/patch-1.4.1.tt.compat.1.gz
> I am not so intuitive to find a ja-patch on Japanesse page ;)

> > inclusion of the JA-patch. BTW the same for #176332, a different case
> > helped by another feature of same patch.
> Are there any plans to integrate ja-patch and/or compat with mainstream mutt?

Even so, as Tamotsu said in
<20031212032727.GA94585%tamo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, there's a patch available
for Debian's main mutt version (if you discount all those patches).  I
had made something that patched cleanly against
mutt-1.5.4+20031024.tar.gz (original upstream source inside the Debian
package), but forgot to apply all of those patches before trying out
1.5.4i-ja.1.

Do you want me to do it?  I'm inclined to do this on my own anyway,
since it's annoying me too much and I don't want to "just go back to
ISO-8859-1", you know.  Can't we include the patch in Debian's version?

--
Carlos Laviola   < claviola@xxxxxxxxxx >
Debian GNU/Linux <http://www.debian.org>

dueling banjos sheet music? right here!