UTF-8 issues (reposted from mutt-users)

[ I originally posted this on mutt-users and David Yitzchak Cohen
  (thanks a lot, David) helped me confirm the bug below in CVS HEAD.
  There's a message that triggers it that you can find in

  http://carlos.sna.cx/mutt/problematic_message.tar.gz

  (It's tar.gz'd because I use maildir) ]

Hi folks,

I decided to jump on the UTF-8 bandwagon a few weeks ago and I'm having
some weird problems with messages that are sent without any kind of
indication that the message is ISO-8859-1 encoded (or worse, since a
Subject, for instance, should specify the encoding and the accents and
other special characters should be encoded, at least AFAIK).

Anyway, I can't change bad behaviour from everybody who does this,
including friends, automated mail from online stores, etc. etc.

There's something else that is weird; some messages, as shown in
mutt_utf8_msg.png (before) and mutt_utf8_msg2.png (after) present on a
website I setup with screenshots of these annoyances
(http://carlos.sna.cx/mutt/) show that, somehow, just invoking edit-type
(bound to ^E here) with its default "text/plain" argument causes what
you saw change from the first to the second screen grab.

I run Debian GNU/Linux unstable, mutt-utf8 version 1.5.4+20031024-1 and
libncursesw5 5.3.20030719-4, which is the library that provides mutt
with the UTF-8 support, apparently.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance!

--