aclocal.m4 generation (for mutt 1.5.4i)

Hi,

    I'd like to ask how the aclocal.m4 file gets generated for the
distribution package of Mutt 1.5.4i.  I found some files with extra
macros in mutt-1.5.4/m4, but I cannot find how to actually use them.
I tried 'aclocal -I ./m4' in the source directory, but still did not
see CF_CHECK_FUNCDECLS in the resulting aclocal.m4.  I looked for a
while at the mutt-dev archive, but couldn't find anything directly
relevant.  (the posts about detecting ncurses were quite interesting,
though)

I'm using automake 1.4 and autoconf 2.57 on a Debian testing box.  Is
there an official "best version" of autoconf/automake to use with
Mutt?

To give some background, the reason I want to regenerate aclocal.m4
and configure is because I'm tinkering with a patch that uses some
extra libraries.  So, I'd like to be able to get the m4 for that lib
from /usr/share/aclocal, and still be able to use the macros defined
in the Mutt source tree.  The problems that manifested were, at first,
just being unable to detect color in ncurses..  Then ./configure
failed on the gssapi detection stage.

So, I think if I can figure out how to properly generate the
aclocal.m4, I can probably hack configure.in to suit my needs.
Incidentally, is there a nice way of "grafting" parts of a newly
generated aclocal.m4 onto an existing one?

Thanks in advance,
 Allister

--
Allister MacLeod <amacleod@xxxxxxxx>