[IP] Is finding security holes a good idea?

Begin forwarded message:

From: Eric Rescorla <ekr@xxxxxxxx>
Date: June 10, 2004 2:55:41 PM EDT
To: dave@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Is finding security holes a good idea?

IP readers interested in systems security may be interested in reading
my paper from the Workshop on Economics and Information Security '04.
The problem I've been working on is whether trying to find
vulnerabilities in software is a socially valuable activity. This paper
represents my first rough attempts to answer this question. It's nothing
like definitive, but I do think it raises some disturbing questions.

    Is finding security holes a good idea?

    Eric Rescorla
    RTFM, Inc.

    A large amount of effort is expended every year on finding and
    patching security holes. The underlying rationale for this activity
    is that it increases welfare by decreasing the number of bugs
    available for discovery and exploitation by bad guys, thus reducing
    the total cost of intrusions. Given the amount of effort expended,
    we would expect to see noticeable results in terms of improved
    software quality. However, our investigation does not support a
    substantial quality improvement--the data does not allow us to
    exclude the possibility that the rate of bug finding in any given
    piece of software is constant over long periods of time. If there is
    little or no quality improvement, then we have no reason to believe
    that that the disclosure of bugs reduces the overall cost of
    intrusions.

Paper:    http://www.dtc.umn.edu/weis2004/rescorla.pdf
Slides:   http://www.dtc.umn.edu/weis2004/weis-rescorla.pdf

-Ekr