[IP] Walter Cronkite: The New Inquisition

The last sentence is right on. djf

From: CMESSALL <CMESSALL@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Walter Cronkite: "...Unfortunately, security and liberty form a zero-sum
equation. The inevitable trade-off: to increase security is to decrease
liberty and vice versa.  In the past, such trade-offs have been temporary -
for the duration of the crisis of the moment. But today, we cannot see an
end to the War on Terrorism, and that forces us to decide how secure we have
to be and how free we want to be.

Wow, have we already forgotten Ben Franklin's statement: "People who are
willing to trade security for freedom soon find out that they have neither"
?  In all fairness to Walter (who I would have thought, might have actually
_heard_ Ben say those magic words ;-)), the trade-off might be correct at
any given point in time, for the technology that applies at that instant.
The secret of course is to change the rules (i.e., the technology) so that
we can have more security AND retain our liberty. - Chuck Messall