[IP] Spinning SiteFinder

Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 10:16:03 -0400
From: Richard Forno <rforno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Article: Spinning SiteFinder
To: Dave Farber <dave@xxxxxxxxxx>

Article: Spinning SiteFinder: FUD, brought to you by VeriSign
Article Link: http://www.infowarrior.org/articles/2003-04.html

This analysis looks at VeriSign's recent statements about SiteFinder, how
the company is spinning the "service" in its public statements. The
concluding paragraph - shown below - sums up my main thesis:

"VeriSign's clumsy, unilateral attempt to hijack the DNS space through its
SiteFinder wildcard service (and its goofy FUD-filled management statements
since) proves that profiteering decisions can ­ and do ­ endanger the
Internet more than any hacker or computer attack. It also proves once again
that the Internet community ­ ISPs, developers, engineers, and other experts
-- can come together to effectively and quickly counter corporate, not just
criminal, attacks on the network infrastructure - and we owe them our
thanks."