Re: [At-Large] [ga] Re: Network Solutions Under Large Scale DDoS Attack

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 5:27 PM, Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Sorry Joe,
>
> I guess I was unclear. My question is this: When this inevitable failure
> occurs where will we go to get what we want?

You don't get what you want - most likely.  A failure in the resolution of
the .com zone would result in failures in every other zone where all the
name servers use .com host names.  I've tested this before and it could be
up to 60% of the Internet would be difficult to resolve.

cnn.com would go poof - because it exclusively uses aol.com name servers.  a
lot of sites out side .com would also disappear.

So there is really nothing you can do.  Maybe Jeffs suggestion to visit the
ICANN mens room is not so bad an option worth considering after all.

Now the way to prevent it is to simply distribute domain name server across
many hosts using different TLDs.  This would make the domain less vulnerable
but only if the domain was not .com.  If it is in the .com zone there is
nothing you can do - under this sort of attack it simply won't resolve.

regards
joe baptista

--
Joe Baptista