[ga] Setting up an "I-CAN" challeng and trophy.

I always tried to understand why we needed registrars for, except to fund one Registry out of their own investors money. Now, we know as ICANN has released the reason why they created them: to help hijacking (which was much more complex with Registries and of no real interest with TLDs a plenty), so there are more conflicts, so there is a need for more arbitration systems, so there is a need for an arbitration of arbitrators, i.e. ICANN lawyers.

We all lost interest in ICANN a very long ago as their only purpose in life seems to create problems to users. But until now they were mostly "pre-problems" (you cannot develop, you cannot innovate, you cannot obtain, you cannot be updated, etc.). Now there are going good real, maddening problems. All the more than @ $ 10 a year per DN they will not easily bear the cost of their lawyers. But everytime a registrar will go broke this will reduce the number of registrars and make money for a few lawyers. We had the OSI seven layers, with the www we are now probably OK with the ICANN seven lawyers model (incorporation, ICANN negotiation, registratrion, UDRP, transfer litigation, governance protection, bankruptcy).

In governance protection I include protection against other registrars, conflicts with ICANN, Congress hearings, conflict with non-US laws, etc. For example, most probably most of the legislations will established that a kind of notarized or charged letter is needed. I accept that returned mail is a good (non legal) authentication for establishing that the request is legitimate, but non returned mail to establish a legally binding agreement is pure joke.

What it is interesting when your name will be hijacked by another registrar is that it may get lost in between the two registars and does not show-up anymore. There is a limbo DNS zone to document.  When Verisign purchased my registrar they lost more than 300 names of mine for three or four days (it killed a big project where we had invested more than $ 250.000). When I complained they told me I was medium priority only, as they had lost 2.000 from another registrant .... The risk for non-US people to deal with US commerce culture, as we do not have an US lawyer at hand. DN wind, gone with the wind. Richard too lost money, but on sunrise:now it will be on plain day.

So, let me set-up an "I-CAN" challenge and trophy.

 1. I will donate a can of beer to the first person obtaining "icann.org".
 2. As soons as he loses the name to another person, he will send her the  empty can in signing it, and so forth.
 3. If ICANN gets back temporarily the name, the current holder will keep the "trophICANN" until there is an I-CAN challenger to win the name
 4. However, if the return of the name was obtained by a "backer", i.e. a kind of Robin Wood hacker, the backer will be accepted as a regular DN hi-jacker and will be acknowledge the title of "hi-backer" for having got back a famous name.
 5. Hi-jacking and hi-backing will be demonstrated by at least of full day of access to the hi-j/backer own's site and a non mail reply from ICANN.

jfc