Re: [At-Large] Rules of procedure, draft 2

Jacqueline A. Morris ha scritto:
> Oops
> I just read the bylaws again. They are clear that "the non-voting liaisons
> shall serve terms that begin at the conclusion of each annual meeting. At
> least one month before the commencement of each annual meeting, each body
> entitled to appoint a non-voting liaison shall give the Secretary of ICANN
> written notice of its appointment."
> So that we HAVE to have the Board liason chosen at least 1 month before the
> annual meeting. What we can possibly do is have the ALAC elections at the
> meeting BEFORE the annual meeting? But then it's the outgoing ALAC that will
> choose the new positions, and the new members will nto have a chance to
> participate.
> Unless we separate the Board liason position from the rest?

That's a decision we have to make.

This year, no one complained about us being late in appointing the Board
liaison, so we might ask ICANN whether they'd be ok with waiving that
obligation (though Thomas objected to that earlier in this discussion).
Or we might be nice and move all the elections one month earlier in the
year, or at the previous meeting. (I'd still tend to have all elections
together, otherwise we'll be spending most of the second half of the
year in electing officers.)

In any case, be aware that in the present draft it is anyway the
outgoing ALAC that votes, not the new one. There's no special reason for
that, we might change that if we find it more logical to have the
elections done by the new ALAC. However, that definitely would make us
miss the 1-month deadline, as that would have to happen during the AGM,
with a special clause to let the new members vote even if they're not in
the position yet. (Or you could vote after the formal closure of the
AGM, but then the new liaison would miss the first meeting of the "new
Board", the one in which the Board officers and committees are elected.)

In short, I see three possibilities:
1) as it is now: the old ALAC votes at the AGM;
2) the old ALAC votes at the ICANN meeting before the AGM;
3) the new ALAC votes at the AGM.

Perhaps we can have some more opinions on this?
--
vb.                   Vittorio Bertola - vb [a] bertola.eu   <--------
-------->  finally with a new website at http://bertola.eu/  <--------