Re: [At-Large] ALAC Draft Statement on Domain Tasting and Domain Monetization - V. 1.3

If I remember correctly, in the Mar 6 meeting, I asked for
confirmation of whether the document that we had received was in fact
an "Issues Report". The answer we received a few days later was that
it did not meet the criteria of a Bylaw-specified issues report.
Perhaps we should look into why we previously understood that the was
a formal issues report, but that will not help the present process.

According to the Bylaws, the way that the ALAC can trigger a Policy
Development Process (PDP) is to formally request an Issues Report
from ICANN staff. This issues report must be delivered within 15
days. The report can them be presented to the GNSO and the GNSO must
vote on whether to start a PDP within 15 days of receipt of the
Issues Report. Assuming that ICANN staff agree that this is indeed an
ICANN "policy" issue, a 33% vote by the GNSO triggers a PDP. If staff
does not agree that it is a policy issue, it requires a 66% vote of
the GNSO to trigger a PDP. The Issues Report can also be submitted to
the Board which, if it chooses, can vote to direct the GNSO to
initiate a PDP (for this entire process, see
http://www.icann.org/general/bylaws.htm#AnnexA).

As of the meeting in Lisbon, the ALAC has passed a motion to submit a
request for an Issues Report to staff no later than 30 April 2007.
The request was delayed to allow us to solicit support from the GNSO
constituencies and to allow us to formulate the request to maximize
the issue being classed as a "policy issue".

We already have the support of several GNSO constituencies and we
will work with them to formulate the request for an Issues Report.

If we are successful, we should have a PDP initiated at the no later
than the San Juan meeting.

Alan