Re: [EURO-ALS] [ALAC] .xxx

Just pushing the issue again - if we want to be heard on this, we need
to come up with a statement in a not too long timeframe, definitely
before Lisbon.

Specifically:

Bret Fausett ha scritto:
> On the money printing machine argument, this is an argument in favor of no
> new generic TLDs at all. I don't see it as unique to .XXX.

No, the point is that if you had a TLD that is useful to someone (as any
other TLD that was created, basically), then defensive registrations
would be a price that we collectively have to pay to get more names
available out there. But if the TLD is not wanted by its own community
(and it seems unlikely that adult webmasters are actually going to move
into it, just to be filtered out more easily), then what you're left
with is a TLD that more or less only contains defensive registrations
and pay-per-click sites, and that is a nonsense to me.

OTOH, I think that defensive registrations are a silly method to protect
one's brand, as it doesn't scale, and moreover it helps create scarcity
of good names - so it's time that ICANN discourages it and ensures that
there are effective methods to act ex post, rather than being concerned
about how to help it.
--
vb.                   Vittorio Bertola - vb [a] bertola.eu   <--------
-------->  finally with a new website at http://bertola.eu/  <--------