[ga] ISOC set to bid on .org

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2002 21:01:03 -0400
From: Lynn St.Amour <st.amour@bluewin.ch>
To: isoc-chapters-presidents@isoc.org
Subject: [isoc-chapters-presidents] IMPORTANT: .ORG - Chapters

Dear Chapter presidents,

The ISOC Board recently voted to support a bid from ISOC to the
Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, Inc. ("ICANN")
to succeed VeriSign, Inc. as the registry operator for the .org
top-level domain.

Our partner for the back-end registry services provider will be
Afilias, Inc. see http://www.afilias.info for more information.   As
you can appreciate, as the bid period is still open, it is difficult
for us to give  details on our application or on our agreement with
Afilias but it is attractive for ISOC in a number of respects.

We believe this is a good opportunity for both ISOC and the
non-commercial constituency that .org serves.    ISOC's mission is
wholly consistent with that non-commercial philosophy and our plans
for .ORG will enable it to flourish as a truly global home dedicated
to serving the unique interests of non-commercial organizations on
the Internet.   And, we expect to be able to add significant value to
the registry space in total, given our roots, values and technical
knowledge.

We will soon be beginning  a more visible outreach effort to solicit
endorsements in support of our bid to run the .org registry.   Our
intent is to solicit letters of endorsement from you - the ISOC
Chapters,  and we would like to enlist your support in reaching out
to your board members, either as individuals or on behalf of their
organizations in the instances where this is appropriate.    It would
also be helpful if you could reach out to other important or
influential organizations or individuals.  We are particularly
interested in other non-commercial organizations, as well as
international ones, and it would be very helpful (once you have
received the appropriate documents) if you would forward the request
for support on to any individual or organization you feel appropriate.

You will soon be receiving the documents mentioned above
(electronically) and these are intended to help in the solicitation
effort.   I certainly hope you join both myself and the Board in
supporting this effort.   Should you receive any specific questions
on our bid, please feel free to direct them to either David Maher or
myself and as I mentioned earlier we should remember that the bid
period is still open and therefore be somewhat thoughtful in our
approaches.

Best regards,

Lynn

--