Re: SSL encrypts for recipients only

On Friday, July 17 at 12:24 AM, quoth Bertram Scharpf:
> Yet, there's one thing I miss: When given an Fcc field, this
> recipient (myself) will not be included in the list handed over to
> openssl.

Well, the FCC is not, strictly speaking, a recipient. It's a mailbox,
which doesn't have an implicit identity. (I know that's kinda
obvious.)

> The "%c" specifier in the smime_encrypt_command variable expands to
> the key referred to by <bertram_alt@xxxxxxxxxxx> but not to the one
> referred to by <bertram@xxxxxxxxxxx> additionally.

It's not clear in the manual, I know, but %c essentially means
"recipient certificate ID(s)". Since the sender (and Fcc) is not a
recipient, it's not included there.

It doesn't look like there's an easy way to do this, but essentially
you need to change $smime_encrypt_command to include your own address
in the list of target addresses. For example, try adding %k after %c
(I don't use SMIME, so I can't test this).

> The consequence is that I cannot read the message any more after I
> submitted it. I would like to call this a bug.

It's not a bug, it's intentional behavior. *You* decided to encrypt
it, and *you* decided who the recipients are. It is incorrect behavior
for mutt to assume you also want it to be encrypted with a key you did
not specify. Imagine, for example, that your sender's key has been
cracked but your recipient's key has not. By assuming you wanted to
encrypt with both keys, mutt has nullified the effect of the
encryption.

> It could be solved by appending the key file belonging to the From
> field in case the Fcc field is not empty.

There's nothing that says the FCC has to belong to the sender.

The way this is handled in on the pgp side of things is by adding
"encrypt-to myid" to the gnupg.conf file.

Personally (I use PGP encryption), I find that $fcc_clear does what I
want. Since I keep the private key in the same place as I keep my sent
mail, encryption wouldn't be particularly secure *anyway*.

~Kyle
- --
Man has the right to act in conscience and in freedom so as personally
to make moral decisions. "He must not be forced to act contrary to his
conscience. Nor must he be prevented from acting according to his
conscience, especially in religious matters."
                                             -- Catholic Catechism 1782