Re: questions regarding mutt as newsreader

Hi,

* JP Bruns wrote:

I am using mutt v1.5.16 with nntp patch (as supplied by gentoo-linux)
and have some questions regarding the setup or muttrc-file.

First of all, I am not able to post to any newsgroup when the following
folder-hook is in effect:

        folder-hook . 'set record="^"'

I only get this error-message:

        newss://user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:563/spline.test:No such file \
        or directory (errno = 2)

Disabling that line lets me submit my messages as expected. Is this some
kind of a bug or just a "bad-bad-setup"?

You don't want that folder-hook with nntp. You can count yourself as
lucky that you get the error message.  When you're reading a newsgroup
and follow up, mutt _should_ store a copy of the outgoing article in
exactly that newsgroup, i.e. you'd post twice if it worked. You probably
want something like:

     folder-hook . 'set record="^"'
     folder-hook ^news 'set record="=articles"'

which would store all copies of outgoing articles to $folder/articles
mailbox.

The second trouble I have is finding a suitable *-hook to define
newsserver specific settings. I found some config-files that seem to use
or at least list a server-hook, but the manpage does not list such
variable, neither does mutt accept it. Simply using a folder-hook (like
for an imap-folder)

        folder-hook 'newss://news.motzarella.org' 'set record="!"'

does not seem to work.

folder-hook is the right one to use but the order matters. What's the
order you tried? You can also try to use the URL from the above error
message as that's apparently the folder URL:

      folder-hook newss://user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:563 ...

What nntp patch do you use? (mutt -v should tell you)

Rocco