Re: what is the benefit of imap?

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 07:01:14AM +0100, Joost Kremers wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 09:13:34PM +0100, Henrik Enberg wrote:
> > The main drawback, and the mainreason I don't use it directly is that
> > unless you run a local server with the low latency that gives you,
> > it's just too slow.  1 second to display an email is more noticeable
> > than you'd think before you try it.
>
> mmm... i use two imap servers, and both are about as fast as a local mail
> box most of the time. to me, the speed difference is too small to really
> notice or be a bother.

Are they on your LAN?  Using IMAP across the internet (even with a
good ADSL connection) can never really be as quick as a local mbox
spool, especially if you're dealing with attachments and such.  Think
about it - a 1Mbyte attachment is going to take some seconds to pull
across even a 2 or 3Mb/s ADSL link whereas it's going to be near
instantanous from a local file.

--
Chris Green