Re: what is the benefit of imap? Another meta-question.

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 11:51:56PM -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:
> Another meta-question, where can I find a straight-forward description of
> imap, without the enthusiastic pushing? What is it?

it's just a protocol to access email on a remote server. that description
would apply to pop3 as well. the difference between them is that imap
leaves the messages on the server, while pop3 downloads them to the local
machine. for that reason, imap has ways to perform actions such as
copying/moving and deleting messages on the server. imap basically makes
the remote server accessible to your mail client as if it were (a set of)
local mail folders.

> Not in some narrow sense,
> but what is involved in 'being an imap user'?

first, your mail server has to support it. then you simply set up your mail
client to use imap. (or preferably imaps.) that's about it.

--
Joost Kremers, PhD
University of Frankfurt