Re: domain-name based mailboxes

On Tuesday, March 10 at 12:44 PM, quoth Haines Brown:
>> On Tuesday, March 10 at 07:11 AM, quoth Haines Brown:
>>> Mailboxes are normally set up based on UID. For example,
>>> user-1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, user-2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx However, I need to set
>>> up mailboxes (a debian etch machine) based on different domain
>>> names but same UID. For example, user-1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
>>> user-1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>
>> So... what's your question?
>
> Sorry I was not clear. The question is: How do I set up mailboxes
> based on different domain names?

I guess I still don't understand the difficulty. We're talking about
mutt mailboxes, right? As defined by the `mailboxes` command in your
muttrc?

The reason I don't understand your question is because the method for
setting up mailboxes with different domain names is EXACTLY THE SAME
as the way you set up mailboxes with different usernames within the
same domain. Mailboxes are **NOT** normally set up based on UID;
they're normally set up based on the value of $folder, which (when
using IMAP or POP) can specify a specific username (UID) and server
(domain). Using multiple usernames AND/OR using multiple servers
(domains) requires either changing the value of $folder OR specifying
the full URI for your mailboxes. For example:

     set folder=imap://user1@xxxxxxxxxxx/
     mailboxes +INBOX
     set folder=imap://user2@xxxxxxxxxxx/
     mailboxes +INBOX
     set folder=imap://user1@xxxxxxxxxxx/
     mailboxes +INBOX

Which is equivalent to:

     mailboxes imap://user1@xxxxxxxxxxx/INBOX \
               imap://user2@xxxxxxxxxxx/INBOX \
               imap://user1@xxxxxxxxxxx/INBOX

Yes it's true that you could also use things like $imap_user instead
of including the username as part of the URI, but I find that this way
makes multi-account stuff more convenient.

Perhaps if you could explain what you tried that didn't work (and in
what way it didn't work), that would make it easier to give you a
useful answer.

As it stands, since you started off with what appears to be an
incorrect statement about using mutt, I get the feeling that when you
say "mailboxes" you actually mean something other than what mutt means
by "mailboxes" (namely, folders to check periodically for new mail),
and that you may even be asking the wrong mailing list---your question
sounds more appropriate to, say, the mailing list of an MTA, like
qmail or sendmail.

~Kyle
- --
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
                                                    -- Gandalf the Grey