Re: Archiving

On 12Feb2009 16:00, Kyle Wheeler <kyle-mutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| On Thursday, February 12 at 09:26 PM, quoth James Freer:
| > I've just joined this group to learn more about mutt. I like the idea
| > of using vim for editing but i'm unsure of what one can do to archive
| > emails. I've used Thunderbird and that has an ImportExportTool that
| > allows one to do an index and copy individual emails as html to a
| > folder.
|
| Egads - why would you want to do that? Your email archives must very
| hard to search through!

Indeed. I just archive to other folders. It's all mail!

| > I don't know what folk do when an inbox gets too large with most
| > email clients - what else can one do for archiving?
|
| Heh, well, some people I know don't do anything. Their inbox is
| several thousand messages.

yeah. Mutt with the header-cache feature is very efficient on large
mailboxes.

| For me, my inbox is used as a list of
| "things I need to take care of". Things like mailing list emails get
| automatically delivered into alternate folders, where I keep only the
| last 3 months of messages---anything older gets moved to a "deep
| storage" archive folder. [...]

Speaking for myself, my "delete" action just moves the message into my
archive folder. So for folder "foo" the archive folder is "OLD/2009/foo"
this year.

(Except for spam; that goes to bogofilter for accounting and then
discarded.)

| If I ever need to refer to something in deep storage, I can always go
| find it (using mutt) and search for it (using mutt).

I find mairix handy for searching folders en mass. I've got a small
wrapper script that runs mairix to make a folder of matching messages
and then invokes mutt in read-only mode on the result folder, then
discards the result folder when the mutt exits.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/