encoding in replies

Hello everybody,

I suspect I have a similar encoding problem like the one discussed today. (in
the thread: "quoting urls in replies". It might be trivial and i apologize if
it is. I did try to RTFM and i have been pondering this with growing
desperation:

The problem in short: When I write mails with german umlauts to myself, I get
them back with the umlauts displayed as questionmarks.

I use vim to write my mails (i tell mutt to use it via an entry "export
EDITOR=/usr/bin/vim" in .bashrc) when I write the mail umlauts are displayed
nicely. but if I postpone the message and resume writing afterwords the
umlauts are allready gone. (I guess that has to to with mutt opening a new
tmp-file).

The output of ":set all" in vim shows among other things "encoding=utf-8"
The output of "locale" in bash:
LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

No "$charset" ist set in .muttrc

And one more really strange thing:
All of this happens on a custom gnome desktop environment. If I switch to a
Terminal without X. Bash displays all the capitalized umlauts and the small
a-umlaut but not the small u-umlaut and the small o-umlaut, it simply
presents a space instead (whereas vim or mutt show some graphical characters
that I have never seen before for these and only for these umlauts)

I am aware that I might have explained all this badly. That is because i don't
understand the problem. If somebody can tell me the right RTFMs to read i will
happily do that homework first.

Thanks

jan
--