Signature for new mail/no signature for replies

Hi,

I would like to append my signature to new emails (essentially those I start by hitting 'm' in the pager or message view) but do not want a signature for replies (either individual, group, or list replies).

I know how to unset signature with a reply hook, but I can't figure out how to (re)set it at the right time for new messages. send-hook does not seem to be the one I want, and remapping the 'm' key seems a little cludgy.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

-- Mike