Re: message-hook in index mode?

On 2009-01-17, Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm currently playing with this:
>
>   folder-hook . 'macro index,pager d
> "<copy-message>+ham<enter><save-message><enter>" "archive message"
>   folder-hook .       'save-hook . "$DELETE_FOLDER"'
>   folder-hook '^=me$' 'save-hook "~s ^LogWatch" "+bos-reports"'
>
> This should load up a sequence of save-hooks based on the folder.
> Is there any way to flush all the save-hooks if I change folders, or am
> I stuck with just loading up the new set to override the older ones?

Yes, there is a way:  unhook.  I've been using the same sort of
setup you're playing with for several years now and it works very
well.  All my save-hooks are folder-independent, but I do have a lot
of folder-dependent message-hooks. My first folder-hook is this:

    folder-hook . 'unhook message-hook'

> My current difficulty is writing complex rules for the save-hook, because
> that requires a third level of quote nesting.

I ran into the same thing and finally decided on this:

    folder-hook . 'source ~/.mutt/default-message-hooks'

where the default-message-hooks file contains all my message-hooks
that set the pager because the quoting for them was especially
nasty.  Those hooks are _much_ easier to maintain this way.

In your case, you could have a file of save-hooks for each of your
folders and source each file with a folder-hook.

Regards,
Gary