Corrupted display of ACS characters

I'm using Mutt 1.5.18 on FreeBSD 6.1 with ascii_chars=no.

When I enter a mailfolder that's set to thread emails, the tree that's
composed of ACS lines and arrows is not displayed correctly.  A quick <ctrl-L>
shifts the display and properly renders the ACS characters.

Other than ascii_chars, is there any other setting that could be causing this
problem?  I have LANG=en_US.UTF-8 in my environment.  I'm using GNOME terminal
to establish an SSH connection to the mail server, but I get the same behavior
using PuTTY from a Windows workstation at the office.

Thanks for any help,

    JL

--
JL <lists@xxxxxxxx>