Re: terminals and mutt

El dimecres, 13 de agost del 2008 a les 09:46, Kyle Wheeler va escriure:

> On Wednesday, August 13 at 01:56 AM, quoth mimosinnet@xxxxxxxxx:
> > I am not sure if this make sense: there are terminal options more
> > suitable for mutt and other for general purpose. I am wondering which
> > terminal options are more suitable to work with mutt.
>
> Honestly, I'd never considered them to be separate.
>
> > For example, in my case I am moving to urxvt. I would say that, for
> > exemple, I do not need:
> > * simulated reverse video
> > * scrolling
> > * transparent window background
> > * many perl extensions except tabbed terminals
>
> With the exception of scrolling, I don't consider any of those
> necessary for "general purpose" either (and I spend 90% of my day
> working with my terminal).
>
> > I am wondering if anybody is using different settings.
>
> I use uxterm (or, on OSX 10.5.x, Apple's Terminal.app), and I put all
> my settings into my .Xdefaults file:

I have adopted most of your settings for my urxvt. I find the tabbed
perl extension useful: I can have multiple instances of mutt with
different accounts (of course, I still have not started using screen).

> > Also, I start urxvt from a script with the above options, but it
> > would be more elegant to start mutt directly from the working
> > terminal instead of opening a new one, specially if I want to use
> > different instances of mutt in each tab window.
>
> I don't think it's more elegant; I think it's a pain. I like the fact
> that I can put mutt in the background (^Z) to quickly check something
> and then come back (fg) without moving to another terminal. Plus, for
> me, mutt dies whenever my internet connection dies (some weird
> interaction with the ssl library, I think), and getting a new terminal
> every time would be annoying.

I have just tried this and read the "job control" section of the bash
manual. I can use these simple commands to have multiple instances of
mutt with different accounts. No need for tabbed terminals....

> > Finally, I am wondering how to deal with keyboard conflicts between
> > terminals and mutt. For example, I have found that C-s (a macro for
> > spam in my mutt) conflicts with some keybindings in urxvt (not in
> > konsole). Therefore, some mutt configuration working in a terminal
> > may not work in another terminal. Is there any way of disabling
> > terminal key bindings when starting mutt?
>
> C-s (or ^S) is the typical "STOP" character in most X11 terminals; you
> can (if you must) call `stty stop somethingelse` to change it to
> something else (I haven't tested whether that works; it may not). But
> generally, there are a few standard key combinations that are used by
> the terminal that have a special meaning---for example, ctrl-Z,
> ctrl-C, ctrl-\, and so forth. There are very good reasons for wanting
> these things to work INDEPENDENT of mutt. You can rebind them
> elsewhere (using stty), but... getting rid of them is probably a bad
> idea. And stty may not work quite the same on terminals like Konsole,
> so using stty is not perfect. You're probably kinda stuck there.

Thanks very much for the advice, it has saved me lots of time exploring
a dead-end. Looking at the command you have mentioned, I have found
that stty -a gives me the key bindings I should avoid in mutt. I very
much appreciate these tips.

Cheers!

--
Location: 41:24:51N (41.41417) 2:11:25E (2.1903)
Linux User: #463211