Re: Sort by most recently active thread

On Fri, Aug/08/2008 03:37:18PM, Kyle Wheeler wrote:
> On Friday, August  8 at 04:07 PM, quoth Ethan Mallove:
> > Is there a way to have mutt sort by most recently active thread? It
> > appears that mutt dates an email thread by the timestamp of the
> > initiating thread email.
>
> Yes!
>
>     set sort_aux=last-date-received
>
> From the manual:
>
>     sort_aux
>         Type: sort order
>         Default: date
>
>         When sorting by threads, this variable controls how threads
>         are sorted in relation to other threads, and how the branches
>         of the thread trees are sorted.  This can be set to any value
>         that "$sort"  can, except threads (in that case, mutt will
>         just use date-sent).  You can also specify the last- prefix
>         in addition to the reverse- prefix, but last- must come after
>         reverse-.  THE LAST- PREFIX CAUSES MESSAGES TO BE SORTED
>         AGAINST ITS SIBLINGS BY WHICH HAS THE LAST DESCENDANT, USING
>         THE REST OF SORT_AUX AS AN ORDERING.  For instance, set
>         sort_aux=last- date-received would mean that if a new message
>         is received in a thread, that thread becomes the last one
>         displayed (or the first, if you have set
>         sort=reverse-threads.)  Note: For reversed "$sort" order
>         $sort_aux is reversed again (which is not the right thing to
>         do, but kept to not break any existing configuration setting).

Thanks! I will add this to my .muttrc, so that when I order
by threads it will default to "last-date-received".

  set sort_aux=last-date-received

My attempts at trying to incorporate this into a macro
failed. Neither of these do what I want :-\

  macro generic ,ot "<enter-command>Ot<enter><enter-command>set
sort_aux=last-date-received" "Order by most recently active thread"
  macro generic ,ot "<sort-reverse>t<enter-command>set
sort_aux=last-date-received" "Order by most recently active thread"

-Ethan