Re: mutt and plaintext passwords : muttrc encryption ?

* Kyle Wheeler <kyle-mutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [2008-07-28 16:52 -0500]:
> On Monday, July 28 at 09:29 PM, quoth Michael Kjorling:
> > Something like this:
> >
> > source "gpg -d sensitivestuff.gpg |"
>
> No. That can't work (but we can salvage this idea). First, let me
> explain why it can't work.
>
> Think about it: what does the "source" command tell mutt to do? It
> tells mutt "read the file with the following name". Even in situations
> where ending an item in a pipe means something to mutt, it means "use
> the output of this command in place of this variable whenever you need
> it".

For source, the ending pipe means:
   If the filename ends with a vertical bar (|), then filename is
   considered to be an executable program from which to read input (eg.
   source ~/bin/myscript|).

Why do you think, mutt tries to re-read the the script's output at
some time?

Nicolas (using source script|)

--
http://www.rachinsky.de/nicolas