fcc-hooks for nested groups of addresses

Hi list,

I recently switched from pine to mutt and have a bunch of things I would
like to settle in mutt. But one at a time.

I use aliases to define some groups of addresses I regularly use.  Some
of these groups are subgroups of other groups, or partially overlap.

For all these separate groups I want to write FCC to files named after
the alias. But also for the individual members of these groups I want to
write FCC when I write mail to each of them personally.

So, I want something like the following:

alias a1 a1@xxxxxxxxxxx
alias a2 a2@xxxxxxxxxxx
alias a3 a3@xxxxxxxxxxx
alias a12 a1, a2
alias a123 a1,a2,a3
fcc-hook '^~C a1@xxxxxxxxxxx' +a1
fcc-hook '^~C a2@xxxxxxxxxxx' +a2
fcc-hook '^~C a3@xxxxxxxxxxx' +a3
fcc-hook '^(~C a1@xxxxxxxxxxx ~C a2@xxxxxxxxxxx)' =a12
fcc-hook '^~C a[123]@example.org' =a123

I figured out I need the '^' to make sure that single addresses only
match the exact addresses. But I can't figure out how I can make the
fcc-hooks for a12 and for a123 such that they only match at the proper
time.

The brackets and pattern matching in the last 2 fcc-hook lines are only
my latest attempts to get it working (but to no avail).

Anybody have an idea?

thanks, Ludo