User's inbox

I have a fundamental lack of understanding on something.  I am using
Mutt with FreeBSD 7.0.  I have a number of mailboxes designated in my
muttrc that Procmail delivers to...for example:

mailboxes $HOME/Mail/muttusers
mailboxes $HOME/Mail/freebsd
mailboxes $HOME/Mail/jep
mailboxes $HOME/Mail/steve
mailboxes $HOME/Mail/cups
mailboxes $HOME/Mail/abiword
mailboxes $HOME/Mail/system
mailboxes $HOME/Mail/procmail
mailboxes $HOME/Mail/spam
mailboxes $HOME/Mail/xan
mailboxes $HOME/Mail/elinks
mailboxes $HOME/Mail/mfolder
mailboxes $HOME/Mail/mark
mailboxes $HOME/Mail/kim
mailboxes $HOME/Mail/postfix
mailboxes $HOME/Mail/walt
mailboxes $HOME/Mail/inbox

All of those mailboxes, with the exception of "inbox", are actual
folders.  Inbox, on the other hand is not a folder, but rather a file,
to which are appended all of the email which is not put in named folders
by Procmail.  Why is it that the inbox cannot itself have its own folder
instead of just being a file?  You know, a folder containing cur, new,
and tmp.  Normally, I wouldn't care about all of this, but I am using
Mairix to do indexing and searching of email, and Mairix, to the best of
my knowledge, will not index a file.  So I guess I'm asking why I can't
set up my inbox just like any of the mailboxes that Procmail delivers
to.

Whew!  Does that make any sense?

Rem