Re: mutt keeps thinking there's new mail in /var/mail/user

Hello Marianne,

* Marianne Promberger [2008-04-12 21:16]:
[...]
so when I hit "q" from the /var/mail/username index I get back to the
mailbox browser, and that correctly does not show any "N" next to
/var/mail/username mailbox.
However, when I either go into a different mailbox and then back to
the mailbox browser view, or if I exit mutt completely and then
restart it, mutt shows an N for new mail next to the
/var/mail/username mailbox in the browser. When I open that mailbox in
mutt, the message is correctly neither flagged as "N" nor as "O". If I delete all the messages in /var/mail/username, the "N" goes away.
This does not happen for any other mailbox -- mutt correctly does not
show an "N" if all messages have been seen.
Also oddly, this does not happen on the desktop, so it may well be
something to do with something outside of mutt but I have no idea
where to look, since I don't know how and where mutt stores info about
seen/unseen mail in the mailboxes.

Any pointers would be great.

Is /var mounted noatime? Mutt determines the flags my comparing the
timestamps of last access and modification. If your /var is mounted
noatime, the access time won't be saved and thus Mutt will think that
you've got new mail in that mailbox.

--
    -- Kirill Miazine <km@xxxxxxxx>