Re: viewing URLs (muttils or lynx?)

* Kyle Wheeler <kyle-mutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [2008-03-15 05:51]:

[...]

> That would be pretty slick, and very possible, in *most*
> cases.  However, knowing which URL is which is a potential
> problem. You'd have to, in the display filter, edit the HTML
> (or the text/plain) and insert some sort of link identifier
> (e.g. "[1]") either immediately after or immediately before
> the link.

Yes, that is what I had on my mind too.

> This is relatively easy to do for typical text-based <a
> href="URL"> links and links listed in text/plain email, but
> what about things like <a href=""> links around images, or
> pluginspage="bar">? Or even <iframe src="gotcha!">? That
> gets tricky fast. I wouldn't want to make it impossible to
> access those links...  but if not, how do we display things?
> I don't know that there's a really good solution without
> doing a full-blown html render (I'm open to being wrong).

I don't get much html email anyway so for me the basic
functionality would do the job fine. I was thinking about
urifind ( http://search.cpan.org/dist/urifind/urifind ) which
is able to extract links from text documents (be it html,
plain, whatever).

> I mean, heck, it wouldn't be *that* hard to do what you
> describe with my little perl script... but you run into the
> same problems of "okay, what do I do with <frame src="url">
> tags?"

As I said I don't get much html email and if it comes it's
certainly not that advanced as to contain frames or other
embedded things. Maybe displaying link to that content would
be enough?

Robert