folder browser, check-new and all that

Hi all

In connection to my earlier postings, I did some more testing and I'm pretty
sure that I tracked down a kind of pathological test case to reproduce the
issue. I also found that the source of the problem I'm seeing is actually
connected to my first post about the check-new function.

Here is what I did.

Set up two mailboxes foo/, bar/. Enter foo/ and leave back to the browser
(important).  While having mutt open *and* being in the browser, send mail to
the two boxes.  Just for the record, I did

    echo lala | mail -s to_foo <user>@<localhost>
    echo lala | mail -s to_bar <user>@<localhost>

and in my .procmailrc as first entries

    :0
    * ^Subject:.*to_foo.*
    foo/

    :0
    * ^Subject:.*to_bar.*
    bar/

Now, invoke check-new (in my case hit `n': 'bind  browser n check-new').
And now the thing:
(1) The 'N' flag appears *only* for bar/, not for the last-visited
    foo/.
(2) Choose any mailbox but foo/, hit Return to enter it, and find yourself in
    foo/.
This works vice versa if bar/ was visited last.

I also have

    set timeout=2
    set mail_check=20

The issue turns up always, regardless of whether I wait $timeout+$mail_check
seconds before invoking check-new or not, but *only* if I do use check-new.
So, from what I see, mutt (at least mine) does not flag the last-visited
mailbox correctly when I use check-new and does open it, although I selected
another one.

And now here another, related problem.  After reading some more docs I began to
imagine that actually most users seem to work like so: have one mailbox open
(not the browser) and change directly to other mailboxes, not via the browser.
I tried that and I was surprised. That works exactly as I expected. I got
informed by a message "New mail in ..." after $timeout+$mail_check seconds
automatically and without pressing a key. This brings me back
to my fist posting. Apparently mutt's check-for-new-mail-and-inform-me
machinery works like a charm ... but from what I see only if I'm in the message
index of an open mailbox, and not in the browser, i.e. the 'N' flag does not
appear "automatically" just as the "New mail in ..." messages do. Why is this
so. Is this intended behavior? Does anybody else have this issue (besides
Raffi Khatchadourian) or am I just not using mutt the "mutt way"? Thanks.

s.