How to deal with new mail?

Hi,

I recently switched from evolution to mutt, and I wonder how to deal
with new mail.
In evolution, all received mail was sorted in diffenrent folders, but I had a
special folder where all new unread mails would show up. I guess it was called
a "search"-folder
which only contained links to the mails in their "real" folders or
something.
If I marked mails as read they would not show up in that search folder any
more, but in their "real" folders.
This was a very convinient way to deal with new mail...

I set up mutt with fetchmail and procmail, with procmail sorting mails
in mboxes. So when I start mutt, I get the index view of the spoolfile with new
mails
in it. But what if I got new mail that was sorted by procmail into other
mboxes? How do I know there is new mail without checking each mbox?

I've defined the mboxes according to the mutt manual,

set folder="$HOME/mail"
mailboxes =mboxname

...but the status bar would only display the number of new mails in the
mbox I'm currently in and not how many of my mboxes have new mail.

I also don't get this sentence from the manual (3.11 Defining mailboes
which receive mails):

"When changing folders, pressing space will cycle through folders with
new mail."

What does that mean? Is it when I press c to change folders and than I
can press space? Or is it when I press y? I didn't see no folder-cycling either
way...

Another way for dealing with new mail i thought of was this one:

1:      Every mail goes to the spoolfile, procmail just filters spam
2:      Mails in the spoolfile are displayed sorted and coloured according to
their
scoring, mail from friends first for example
3:      Set up some kind of folder-hook-magic to save the mails from the
spoolfile to their folders when exiting mutt.

Would this be possible? I fear I've read something about "mutt can only
save to one mbox on exit"...

Regards,
Benjamin