Re: maidir monitor for gnome

Hi,

* Russell L. Harris <rlharris@xxxxxxxxxx> [070901 14:22]:
> * shen xiaofei <shen@xxxxxxxx> [070831 23:28]:
> >
> > * You wrote on Fri, Aug 31, 2007 at 07:33:54PM -0500:
<snip>
> > xterm -e /usr/bin/mutt
> >
> > > start mutt by double-clicking on the penguin icon.  Otherwise, gnubiff
> > > appears to be working properly, so I plan to stay with it.
>
> Amazing!  I thank you, Shen.
>
> This is my first experience with xterm.  I have been using Multi Gnome
> Terminal except when I wish to run mc (midnight commander).  mc
> doesn't work very well with multi gnome terminal, so for mc I open
> gnome terminal.

Since you already seem to use it I thought it worth pointing out how,
using gnome-terminal you can get similar results to running 'xterm -e
mutt'.

This can be done using gnome-terminal "Profiles". You can set one up for
mutt with the following procedure (description based on the 2.18 version
of gnome terminal, but I guess should be similar for all 2.x versions):

Open a gnome-terminal from the menu select;
Edit->Profiles->New

In the field "Profile name" enter something appropriate like "Mutt"
Click "Create"

This should pop up a tabbed window which allows you to edit the Mutt
profile.

Select the "Title and Command" tab, select the check box "Run a custom
command instead of my shell", then enter "mutt" in the field "Custom
command".

You can also do fun things like set the icon etc.

Now, to run this profile (ie run the terminal with mutt) do:

gnome-terminal --window-with-profile Mutt

(where "Mutt" was the profile name you chose earlier)

Cheers,

Nick.

PS. I recall from some time ago the main advantage multi-gnome-terminal
had over gnome-terminal was it's use of tabs: this feature is now in
gnome-terminal too.