Maildir by date

Hello.

I'd like to clean up the mess that is my current email
setup.

Ideally I'd like each days worth of mail to be stored in
its own maildir, like this:

~/mail/$ACCOUNT/$YEAR/$MONTH/$DAY

...where $DAY is the maildir itself. Mail will be spooled,
as usual, in ~/mail/spool until it is read by mutt and
saved/archived into todays maildir.

Does anybody have any idea how to do this in mutt?
Presumably I'm going to be hacking at save-hooks or
even piping to an external program and separate accounts
are going to have to be handled somehow. I'm at a bit
of a loss as to the way to do this with as few layers
of software as possible (I'm about to switch to using
fdm to grab mail from various places).

thanks,
MC