Re: 8 bit characters in mailbox index

* Baldur Gislason [2007-07-21 11:54]:
I asked about this a few months ago and I think I never got an answer.
How can I make mutt display 8 bit characters in the mailbox index?
Currently it filters out all 8 bit characters so reading subject
lines in icelandic can sometimes be a bit of guesswork.

Knowing nothing about the rest of your setup, I'll tell you what I've
done when I had the same issue. On FreeBSD, I've set following
environment variables to get mutt to display Norwegian and Russian
characters at the same time:

    MM_CHARSET=UTF-8
    LANG=en_US.UTF-8

To see these characters properly, I also had to tell PuTTY (SSH client
for Windows) that incoming text is in the UTF-8 encoding  (go to Window
-> Translation to select it).

G'luck,
Kirill