vanishing messages and shaky connexions

Dear Friends of Mutt,

Sometimes when I'm checking my email over my modem connexion, or on wireless in
a coffee shop with a really shaky router, the connexion will cut out on me
while I'm in the middle of dowloading (IMAP) a mail message to read (in Mutt
1.5.12).  Mutt itself hangs, and all I can do is CTRL-Z.  OK fine, no big deal
... but when I log in again and try to read that message, I can't get it.
Specifically, Mutt tells me that it's of size 0K, and there is nothing in the
body at all.

Is it possible that Mutt is deleting the message body during this hang-and-qit
process?  I didn't think so, so I used a different MUA to see if I could see
the "deleted" message, and in fact I can.  But here's the weird part.  When I
exit the folder that contains this message and reenter the folder, Mutt tells
me the size is 3.7K (the real size).  But if I try to read the message, Mutt
gives me a blank body and a size of zero k.  Everything works fine in another
mail reader.

What is going on here?, and How can I do something to make Mutt correctly
recognize and read the message which really is there?

Many thanks,
GMN