Re: mutt + smtp.gmail.com + ml

On Tue, Feb 27 2007 19:30, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
>  I save/archive my outgoing mail on my local box and use gmail as an
>  archive for incoming mail.  But you can have your cake and eat it too,
>  just set a tag on gmail for mail you generate (your posting addr).
>  Then you can copy those to your gmail 'sent' record.  Iiuc gmail
>  doesn't use folders/directories, they just tag everything and display
>  it so you see it in groups.

That's a good idea, thank you.

>  any outbound mail not going to a mailing list that you monitor via
>  gmail, you can bcc to yourself at gmail.

Or, even better, use hooks that select $sendmail depending on if you're
sending a message to a mailing list or not. So, for private messages you
can safely use Gmail's smtp servers and have no need to bcc yourself.

In my case, that would be two simple hooks:

# msmtp will automatically choose gmail's server if the From header
# contains a predefined gmail address, and use the local server if not.
folder-hook . 'set sendmail="/usr/bin/msmtp"

# Force the local MTA for mailing lists.
folder-hook .lists   'set sendmail="/usr/bin/sendmail"

Cheers.

--
redondos