Re: Auto-fill-mode in emacsclient

On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 01:31:40AM +0100, sven.bretfeld@xxxxxx wrote:
> Dear List
>
> I'm new to Mutt. As I am a fan of GNU-Emacs I use emacsclient for
> composing mails. But I'm quite an Emacs newbe too.
>
> On my GNU/Debian (Etch) machine I have to turn on Emacs'
> auto-fill-mode manually when I compose a mail text for mutt. This
> annoyes me of course. On my other computer, which runs Ubuntu 6.10,
> the auto-fill-mode comes up automatically.

<SNIP>

> The relevant lines of the .emacs files are:
>
> (server-start)
> (add-hook 'mail-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)
>
> I don't know why this hook works only on one machine. I think there
> are many of you who use Mutt with Emacs. How have you automatized to
> turn on the auto-fill-mode?

On your Debian machine, does the buffer come up in mail mode automatically?

I use the same basic setup, but MacOS X and Carbonized Emacs 22.0.90.1.  I
found that I had to force the buffers into mail mode:

    (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("mutt-HOSTNAME" . mail-mode))

And do the obvious substitution, of course.

Richard