Viewing attachments with detached process while remianing in attachments menu

Like in other mail clients I just want to press on the selected
attachment and view it and then go down to the next and view it.
So I may open any number of the attachments at one time.

To detach I am using a mailcap recipe of:
image/jpg; sh -c "exec display %s > /dev/null 2>&1 &"

When I concatenate in .muttrc or on the mutt colon command line
as followS:

view-attach exit

The viewing does not work properly, (xview no-op and display
gives an X windows fiule listing option).

When I just go view-attach the viewing works fine but I get
plonked into the Pager and have to exit from there.

How do i fix this?  Is it too much to ask that this
works out of the box?  Ot am I missing some things?

Even nicer would be an open-all-attachment macro.

Thanks

Eric