Strange send-hook behavior

In writing my first send-hook I've stumbled across something I regard as
bizzare; I can't usefully add recipient headers.  As the manual says,
the recipients seem to be set before the send-hooks fire, so if I try to
set a Bcc: entry with a send-hook it won't take effect until the *next*
message.  Effectively this means I can't use it, because the danger of
inadvertently sending private mail to a mailing list is too great.  In
fact, I can't come up with any case where that behavior is useful.

So the question is, is there any workaround for this?  My current mail
machine is running a very old copy of mutt (1.4-1i, looks like, from
2003); was this changed in a newer mutt?  What about mutt-ng?  I don't
have root access on that machine but this might be worth building a
local copy of mutt for even though I'd rather not.

Dustin