Searching for a new email client...Mutt? (longish)

Hi,

 this is my first posting to this mailinglist. I am longtime user of
 Emacs and the email client for Emacs called "mew" (www.mew.org).

 Recently I changed to vim and dont want to let Emacs be installed
 only for the task of reading mails. This is somewhow like haveing an
 airplane for to go shopping.

 I read about the possibility to call vim from inside mutt (true?) so
 may be mutt is what I wanted as next Email client.

 Unfortunately I dont know all the terminus technicus for too many
 important things concerning Emails and Email clients and I am no
 native English speaker. Therefore I think it is better to ask you
 instead of non-context-aware-non-intelligent search engines and grep
 commands...;)

 One thing I dont want to change since I have archived so many Emails
 this way is, is how Mew handles Emails:

 It works as follows:

 (Receiving Mail) Fetchmail is getting the new mail via POP3 and feet
 it into Exim on my system.  Then Mew is reading
 /var/spool/mail/mccramer and put each Email as a separate file under
 $HOME/Mail/<folder>.  Regular expressions which match for example
 against the To:, CC:, Subject:, From: field The whole header is
 available for matching) decide, which <folder> is used to store the
 file/mail.  In each <folder> the mails are numbered onsecutively.

 (Sending Mail)
 I am writing the mail and press "send". Mail is delivered directly to
 the receiver or -- if the target address matches against a list of
 exceptions-- the mail is delivered via the mailserver of my ISP.

 Is it possible to mimic this handling via mutt (may be with the help
 of other programs) ?

 Is it possible to use mutt side by side with Mew for a while without
 screwing up the whole thing, without the hassle of
 reinserting/renumbering/patching mails and without loosing them ?

 Thank you so much for any help in advance and thank you for your
 understanding !

 Kind regards,
 mcc