Re: folder-hook evaluation when invoked with email address

On Wed, Jul 26, 2006 at 09:46:31PM -0400, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> * Ryan Underwood <nemesis-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx> [07-26-06 14:08]:
> > mutt -y uunet tries to mail uunet@localhost so I'm not sure what is
> > going on.
>
> you have only given part of the address, so mutt assumes (aiui) the
> mail is local and adds your local domain, which you have not changed
> from the install default "localhost".  If you want mail to "uunet" to
> go to a particular address and it is not local, look up aliases in the
> muttrc example and the manual/doc file.

I misunderstood the instructions you gave.  I thought you were telling
me to use -y to open the mailbox.  I thought that was strange since I
usually use -f to do that, but you said "mutt -y <folder>" so I took it
literally.

> > I am using mutt 1.5.11 from Debian.  Having mailto: call a script is
> > no problem but I'm not sure exactly what the script should do.
>
> You said that you wanted mutt to evaluate a 'folder-hook'.
> 'Folder-hooks' are evaluated based on the particular 'folder' that is
> open.  The script would have to put you into that folder (cd into it).
>
> Call mutt with a script that passes it the values you wish.  A
> folder-hook may be unnecessary.

I don't know how to 'pass' those values on the command line, unless you
are referring to using the -e option in conjunction with 'set' commands.
That was the only way I ended up being able to get it to work.

> You would benefit from some time perusing the manual and the example
> muttrc.

This same question was asked on the ML before and nobody responded.  I
believe mailto: invocation is a common use case, and it is definitely
not covered in the manual as far as I can tell, since third parties have
hacked up various scripts for it.  But none went far enough to change
configuration variables from the default values.

Anyway, I believe I have it now, so thanks.

--
Ryan Underwood, <nemesis@xxxxxxxxxxxx>